E-Books is a convenient new feature for all our Kindle and Nook e-readers. Choose from a large selection of contemporary and classic spiritual titles covering; biographies, Bible study, spiritual direction, history, youth topics and more.
All parish and area women and friends are invited to a Women's ACTS Retreat, from Thursday Sept. 18th - 5:30 p.m. check-in at St. Joseph's - and ending at the 11:30 a.m. Mass at St. Joseph's on Sunday, Sept. 21st, with a reception following.
This retreat is sponsored by our parish and will be held at Immaculata Retreat House in nearby Willimantic, CT. ACTS stands for: Adoration, Community, Theology, and Service. If you're a woman ( college age, professionals / stay-at home moms, seniors) seeking a deeper experience in your faith-life then take advantage of this great opportunity. The cost of the retreat is $205.00 ( financial assistance is available, please inquire).
Along with the retreat itself, each retreatant gets:
* Transportation to the retreat house.
* Breakfast, lunch and dinner each day, - please call ahead with any dietery needs.
* Accomodations include a private room with AC, full-sized bed, desk and chair, private bath and WIFI connectivity. (* Five rooms are handi-cap accessible - please call ahead to check availability).
Registration forms are available here online and in the main entrance / foyer of St. Joseph Church. You can also request one or for more information call -
Photos from the annual Corpus Christi Mass & procession last weekend - Sunday, June 22 are now online, - go to "Gallery" or click here.
As we do every year, weather permitting, an outdoor procession is held with all the parishioners at the 9:30 a.m. Mass. Don't forget to bring the family and friends next June to participate in this annual event.
Communion, a common element in Christian worship is what we celebrate.
Divine Mercy Novena - 6:30 p.m. Mondays, - (Note - NOT on Monday Holidays)
"I'm an avid fan of EWTN..".... "One of my favorite shows, ... is the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, which I love, and when I've had a very stressful day, I'll come home -I've got it taped, and Kay and I will both listen, put it on and just sit back, relax, worship, and in that time of reflection, meditation, quietness I find myself renewed and restored."
- Rick Warren, Baptist / Evangelical pastor of Saddle-Back Church, author of "The Purpose-Driven Life" .
The word novena comes from the Latin novem, meaning nine.
The nine days recall the nine days that the Apostles and the Blessed Virgin Mary spent in prayer between Ascension Thursday ((Luke 24:51; Mark 16:19; Acts 1:9-11) and Pentecost Sunday (Acts 2:2-4).
"After the Lord’s Ascension, the apostles returned to Jerusalem, entered the upper room, and “all these with one accord devoted themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brethren”. (Acts 1:14) There, about 120 people, led by Peter, prayed for nine days in preparation for the day of Pentecost, the fiftieth day after the Resurrection, when the Holy Spirit came to them".
Pentecost Sunday is one of the most ancient feasts of the Church, celebrated early enough to be mentioned in the Acts of the Apostles (20:16) and St. Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians (16:8). It is the 50th day after Easter (if we count both Easter and Pentecost), and it supplants the Jewish feast of Pentecost, which took place 50 days after the Passover and which celebrated the sealing of the Old Covenant on Mount Sinai.
Readings: Acts 2:1-11; Psalm 104:1, 24, 29-30, 31, 34; 1 Corinthians 12:3b-7, 12-13, or Galatians 5:16-25; John 20:19-23 or John 15:26-27;
News- St. Joseph Lighting Project - Phase One Completed
We thank Mike Ose of Orion Electric and staff for their good work !
We meet downstairs in the church Hall, Winter / Spring and Fall, on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. Bring your own Bible, - coffee is provided. Stay tuned for info on the new Fall series here and in the weekly bulletin.
Request a Mass Have concerns in your life? Like to have the prayers of the parish community along with your own ? Request a weekday or Sunday Mass for your family, friends or personal intentions ! Call Kathleen at the parish office to schedule, 860.871.1970.
* Book Rack - Features CD's, Pocket-Sized Bible Studies, Devotionals, Traces Magazine, and much more, -- Located by the Elevator, free items are marked. All books are offered below Amazon prices, - compare.
Stop By This Week, while supplies last !
* Weekly Bread Collectionfor the Cornerstone Shelter / Soup Kitchen. (Drop-off Box in main foyer).
* Monthly - First Weekend of the Month - Collection of personal-care items for the Cornerstone Shelter. Drop off items in the marked box in the foyer. Thank you !
* Divine Mercy Devotion - Every Monday, 6:30 p.m. Every Monday, - except during winter storms, etc.)